Hereby a (graphical) tutorial to setup Virtual Machine Manager on a Windows 2012 R2 server. It’s quit a long tutorial so be sure you check out all the needings. I did a clean install after running SP1 for quite a while together with SCOM2012 SP1. It’s not possible to upgrade to R2 so better initiate a clean install.
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Command Line Utilities http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=239650&clcid=0x409
- Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 Redistributable Package http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6442
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Native Client http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=239648&clcid=0x409
- Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit 8.1 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982
Make sure to create a few accounts and groups:
- DOMAIN\s-scvmm-svc (SCVMM Service Account)
- DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admin (SCVMM RunAs account for managing hosts)
- DOMAIN\s-scvmm-sql (SCVMM SQL Service Account / I’m using s-scvmm-admin for this)
- DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admins (Administrators security group)
- Add DOMAIN\scvmm-svc and DOMAIN\scvmm-admin member of group DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admins
- Login on SQL-server and make sure DOMAIN\scvmm-admin is at least “dbcreator”, “dbowner“, “process admin” and “securityadmin”.
- Make DOMAIN\scvmm-admin and DOMAIN\scvmm-svc local admin on SCVMM-server
- Start vSphere client and give DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admin at least read-permissions (enough for only for monitoring)
Make sure you have all the following ports open: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4581.scvmm-2012-ports-communications-for-firewall-configuration.aspx
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Command Line Utilities:
Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 Redistributable Package:
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Native Client:
Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit:
Install Virtual Machine Manager
Again a graphical step-by-step how to install. I struggled a bit when installing VMM. I decided to enable remote login with account DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admin to login with that account on the server. Even with shift + run as another user I couldn’t complete the setup.
NB make sure to disable the remote login with account DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admin after installing (security)
Login with useraccount:
Select VMM Management Server:
Enter name and key:
Enter install location (use D:\ for example):
Select servername, instance, port and enter the DOMAIN\s-scvmm-admin credentials:
Enter VMM Service Account details:
Create new library:
The Service Principal Name (SPN) could not be registered
Most likely you will receive an error after starting VMM the first time, with the following error:
The Service Principal Name (SPN) could not be registered in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) for the VMM management server.
You’ll now need to do the following:
Use setspn.exe to create SPN for vmmserver using following command "C:\Windows\system32\setspn.exe -S SCVMM/SERVERNAME.cloud.local CLOUD\s-scvmm-svc"
Add SPN values to following registry key "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server\Setup\VmmServicePrincipalNames"
Run "D:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Virtual Machine Manager\setup\ConfigureSCPTool.exe -install" to configure SCP
Config Virtual Machine Manager
Add VMware vCenter Server:
Create RunAs Account:
Enter vCenter Server and port (choose secure mode or not – dependable on what you want):
Pending add virtualization manager:
Add VMware ESX hosts and clusters:
Select RunAs Account:
Choose the clusters and hosts:
Wait and check if it’s running: